276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cranford

£4.315£8.63Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After leaving school at the age of 16, Elizabeth travelled to London to spend time with her Holland cousins. [9] She also spent some time in Newcastle upon Tyne (with the Rev William Turner's family) and from there made the journey to Edinburgh. Her stepmother's brother was the miniature artist William John Thomson, who in 1832 painted a portrait of Elizabeth Gaskell in Manchester (see top right). A bust was sculpted by David Dunbar at the same time. [9] Married life and writing career [ edit ] Elizabeth Gaskell: 1851 portrait by George Richmond Ia lendo sem achar nada de especial, até que se dá um acontecimento um pouco trágico, a falência de um banco e a consequente pobreza de Miss Matty. E foi nesta parte que o livro me tocou, pois todas as senhoras imediatamente se disponibilizaram para a ajudar.

Miss Deborah Jenkins is the leader of the group and she decides to adopt Miss Jessie, the younger daughter of Captain Brown after his death, despite the fact that she is a niece of a shopkeeper. Stoneman, Patsy (1987). Elizabeth Gaskell. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. ISBN 9780253301031, p. 3. The series was transmitted in five parts in the UK by BBC One in November and December 2007. In the United States, it was broadcast in three episodes by PBS as part of its Masterpiece Theatre series in May 2008. Mr. Hoggins was the Cranford doctor now; we disliked the name, and considered it coarse; but, as Miss Jenkyns said, if he changed it to Piggins it would not be much better. But I was right. I think that must be a hereditary quality, for my father says he is scarcely ever wrong.” Cranford analysisMatus, Jill L., ed. (2007). The Cambridge companion to Elizabeth Gaskell (repr.ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521846769. , p. 9.

The tone of this novel was playful. The opening chapter was written in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, which I initially found quite amusing. Alas, the genteel society of Cranford was too much for me. I can only take so much ‘chaste elegance and propriety’, which became tiresome after a while. Miss Jenkyns dies, but the narrator carries on her correspondence with Miss Matty (Miss Jenkyns's sister) and Miss Pole. This continues her connection to Cranford. Miss Matty, however, experiences even more loss after the death of her sister. When she and the narrator are shopping and looking at lilac silk, she finds out that Town and County Bank, where her money is stored, might be going under. Her income decreases from 150 pounds per year to just 13 pounds per year, and she is unable to continue her genteel lifestyle. Her friends are even concerned that they won't be able to continue their relationship with her because of her impoverished circumstances. Gaskell, Elizabeth Cleghorn (1858). The Doom of the Griffiths (annotated). Interactive Media. pp.introduction. ISBN 978-1-911495-12-3. OCLC 974343914. Cranford is one of the better-known novels of the 19th-century English writer Elizabeth Gaskell. There is no real plot, but rather a collection of satirical sketches, which sympathetically portray changing small town customs and values in mid Victorian England.Cranford follows a group of women living in the small fictional town of, you guessed it, Cranford. The women live in "genteel poverty" and have very old-fashioned mindsets about life and social niceties and norms. The book is told from the perspective of Mary Smith (or Elizabeth Gaskell), and focuses mainly on Miss Matty, a sweet-tempered older woman who is one of the pillars of society since the death of her older, revered sister Deborah Jenkyns.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment