276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Last Tang Standing: The most hilarious, feel-good debut romcom you’ll read all year!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Even though there's a lot of people who are like "THE HEROINE AND HERO MUST BE EACH OTHER'S ONE AND ONLY" I'm okay with them not being that way, necessarily, as long as it feels organic and isn't done for cheating drama (I HATE pointless cheating drama, FYI). Andrea narrates in her diary entries how silly and irreverent some of her Chinese relatives and friends could be just so they wouldn't be disowned or disinherited. The queer husband could have been straight, cheated on his wife with a woman, got caught in the act, had pics taken, and blackmailed in the divorce. Lauren Ho’s irresistible LAST TANG STANDING sparkles with that perfect match of hilarity and heart on every page … You’ll fall in love with this warm, witty and winning tale.

Lastly, you may think that Last Tang Standing already sounds fun here, but isn't it Crazy Rich Asians all over again since it talks about family interference on the relationship?

Wouldn’t she rather spend her golden years discovering exciting new prescription drugs or the cerebral delights of reality TV? If you want a light but equally inspiring story to read during summer, give Last Tang Standing a go. Its set in the glamorous side of Singapore, living in the limelight of blitz and upper side but still has elements of the everyday middle class struggles. But Andrea doesn’t see Suresh as a viable romantic option because a) he’s engaged, even if his fiancée is dragging her feet about moving to Singapore; and b) she doesn’t completely trust him, and misses the ample evidence that he doesn’t care about making partner.

Meanwhile, Suresh keeps pushing Andrea to talk about their attraction, but he doesn’t end his engagement.May 3, 2020: I'm so ready to be taken into all the Singaporean wealth and shine through this book since it's compared to Crazy Rich Asians and of course I want to read a Southeast Asian character. There are many characters in the story hence the last thing you want is a complex and sophisticated cross-over between each of them.

But let’s talk about something I do appreciate: desperately-seeking-grandchildren Mama Tang, my favorite character in the book. Although the book comps compare this story to Bridget Jones meets Crazy Rich Asians (true--in a way-- through journal entries and, well, crazy rich Asians), Lauren Ho has created a truly new vibe with her unique (and perfectly in tune/ on point/ relatable/ full of laughable snark) writing style.And that sometimes the person you've been waiting for may just be the one that is right in front of you. Yet when a chance encounter with charming, wealthy entrepreneur Eric Deng offers her a glimpse of an exciting, limitless future, Andrea decides to give Mr. I do agree with the nay-sayers that the book went on for a bit too long but I loved the love interest (he was the BEST) and the journey actually caused me some hardcore nerves as the will they/won't they vibes increased, so even though the execution was a little shaky, I still ended up liking this a lot. The hilarious scenes will have you laughing out loud, and turning those pages - I found it hard to put down. On top of those things, the author posted a passive aggressive blog post in response to this by claiming that she wanted to showcase these issues to provide an “authentic” look on life for families like this in Singapore—however, when things like that are accepted as normal even from the main character who is meant to be a vessel into this world, it makes me wonder whether that’s truthful.

Also, Lauren is familiar with the issue of how workplace discrimination works against married or female employees.

Może to, jak bardzo inne jest życie Andrei od mojego sprawiło, że śledziłam je z takim zaciekawieniem. I felt like the 'Bridget Jones' type character might be too obvious and maybe a little cringe, but I quickly changed my mind.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment