276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Bed and Breakfast Star

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The characters aren't likeable. Elsa is too irritating (to me) with all the jokes. She only think about herself and her ambission to be a famous comedian. Actually I kind of amuse by her toughness since she never cried whenever her stepfather hit her. I also like her way taking care of her brother and sister when her parents are too weak to even get up from bed. But, she is annoying to me. The Manager - The careless manager of The Royal Hotel. He doesn't seem to care about the guests or their well-being. The book was originally named Elsa, Star of the Shelter but it was renamed in reprints to attract a wider audience. The bed and breakfast hotel is not what they expected and Elsa's mother was not satisfied at all. Elsa had always wanted to become a comedian and she has never stopped trying. Her family try to live their life and cope with what they have. A big change happens and things are taking a turn.

Funny-face" - A boy who is part of the "Famous Five" group of hard lads in the hotel. He laughs at Elsa's jokes and lives with his Mum on the fourth floor. His real name is never mentioned. However, it is an interesting that I don’t remember being bothered by the young girls experiences when reading it as a child, Elsa’s life appeared just as a canvas for the character of Elsa and her narration; and it is in that way I think Wilson intended Elsa’s troubles to be thought of. The book is not a cry for change, it is in a sense a cry for children to find their own voice. Wilson doesn’t afford Elsa a happy ending, she gives her positivity and a rest-bite, but not a solution . As well as winning many awards for her books, including the Children’s Book of the Year, Jacqueline is a former Children’s Laureate, and in 2008 she was appointed a Dame. Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first “novel” when she was nine, filling countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. Since having her daughter, Emma, she has been writing full time.A book that I've read over and over again as a child, and now re-reading it as an adult! One of my all time favourite authors, whilst growing up, who has the gift of reaching out to millions of children! Jacqueline Wilson is able to conjure stories which every type of young person is able to relate to, either because of their families, love lives or social lives.

The "Bunny" Receptionist - She wears fluffy sweaters and flirts with The Manager, and shares his attitude regarding the guests.I always adore Jac Wilson's book. I love almost all of her books, but surprisingly, this book isn't one of them. This book is based on Elsa. She is known as a Bed and Breakfast kid, but she likes to call herself the Bed and Breakfast Star. She loves to tell jokes and she knows she is going to be big one day – doing what she does best, making people laugh. But after her family lost their house and moved into a run-down hotel, it seems like no one wants to laugh anymore. Despite the circumstances, Elsa is still determined to be a star. Jacqueline is one of the nation’s favourite authors, and her books are loved and cherished by young readers not only in the UK but all over the world. She has sold millions of books and in the UK alone the total now stands at over 35 million!

I have read the Bed and Breakfast Star twice. The second time i read it, it seemed even better! I read it in less then a day, non-stop. Jaqueline Wilson hits these truths beautifully. Elsa is one of the happiest kids I’ve had the joys of reading about. She teaches you that even in the darkest of moments, there is always something to look forward too and smile about.

Activities & resources

We follow the story of Elsa who has lived in over 7 different places. Her family are poor, they can’t afford to live in a big house surrounded by lots of luxuries but instead are resorted to living in a ‘bed and breakfast hotel’. With mould growing on the walls, not being supplied a proper breakfast and living on the top floor with a lift that doesn’t work, Elsa tries to find happiness in the darkest of moments. The Famous Five" - The gang which Elsa hangs out and plays truant with after she cannot settle in her new school. Its about a girl called Elsa. Her mum’s boyfriend can’t find any work and eventually they have to move into a Bed and Breakfast hotel. Its called The Royal Hotel, except its not. When they arrive, the sign says it all ‘T e o a o e’. Elsa manages to have fun, and she meets some new friends including Book-Worm Naomi. She scives’ school, but then realises that she should give it a chance. Elsa can only dream of being a comedian on TV, but when a fire strikes, it is her once in a life chance?... This contains the most illustrations out of any book of hers I’ve reread so far, which adds a lot of charm to an otherwise simplistic story and helps to connect to the characters and the environment. Each character had a distinct personality and the pacing of the story was good.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment