276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ghosts of Sleath

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

My advice to you is to leave this house. No good will come of your investigation,'' says Nanny Tess to David Ash, paranormal investigator, in this disappointing horror tale. An associate of the Continue reading » It is the second story of David Ash, which i didn't know as i was sent this as part of a book exchange. Herbert's latest novel begins as a rather taut political thriller/horror hybrid, but it begins to deteriorate about halfway through, becoming increasingly poorly paced and confused. The story Continue reading » You Are Better Than You Think You Are: During their brief psychic union, Grace senses Ash's childhood memory of older sister Juliet's drowning, and denies his culpability. This is the third James Herbert novel I have read (the others being The Magic Cottage and Once) and it doesn't disappoint. It was definitely scary and creepy, full of mystery and gore. Although I do admit the main character feels quite similar to his other main characters but that didn't deter me at all.

Ghosts Sleath by James Herbert, First Edition - AbeBooks Ghosts Sleath by James Herbert, First Edition - AbeBooks

For pace and sheer enjoyment alone, Herbert's ‘The Ghosts Of Sleath ’ is up there with some of the best of this talented author’s work. Combined with the other two novels in the trilogy - as a set they truly are an often underrated masterpiece of contemporary horror literature and certainly a must read for all fans of Herbert's earlier work. Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Old_pallet IA18100 Openlibrary_editionThe story unfolds in a somewhat implausible tone, never really delivering that punch in the face I was expecting or a truly suspenseful conclusion. I found the ending to be quite unsatisfactory, rushed and unoriginal: as if written not by a consolidated horror author, but rather someone who'd just started a career in writing. This is only the second James Herbert book i have read and i can safely say i enjoyed it MUCH more than the first one i read. Which was called Once. Don't read it. Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts: Or rather jaywalking ghosts - driving to Sleath, Ash is horrified to see, in the road before his car, the figure of a young boy. Ash swerves, and thinks he's hit him - but the boy is nowhere in sight.

The Ghosts Of Sleath - James Herbert

This is a sequel to Haunted, a much more traditional ghost story, and starts with David Ash recovered, but still shaken, from the events of that book. He's still cynical, but he's aware that sometimes, the ghosts are not just unquiet memories or hoaxes. And the he gets called to the village of Sleath, which has as many secrets as it does ghosts.What I love about Herbert's style most is that he tends to keep his chapters short and snappy, and he manages to weave lots of characters into the story so that you get to enjoy a glimpse of most people involved - rather than just being told the story from the protagonist's point of view. It worked especially well in this book - I felt like I knew the entire sinister cast of the village of Sleath personally. Psychic Sex: During lovemaking, Ash and Grace's thoughts once more merge; this time in emulation of their current bodily exchange. Creepy Children Singing: From inside an empty school, an unseen choir of children are heard to sing the hymn "Lord of the Dance."

The Ghosts of Sleath (Literature) - TV Tropes The Ghosts of Sleath (Literature) - TV Tropes

The quaint village of Sleath is described with the vivid and atmospherically rich skill of a master storyteller. Indeed, each age old building, timeworn street, desolate schoolyard, or neighbouring woodland, is portrayed to the reader with a wealth of intricacies; with the ever present gloom of the paranormal threat constantly overshadowing each and every location. Having that said, I fell the plot itself falls short of what it could had been. Yes, its interesting enough and will keep you guessing until the end. But once reaching the final 3 chapters, I couldn't shake this feeling of "is this what's really happening?" Soft cover. Condition: Very Good. 1st Edition. One of 500 copies of the unedited, uncorrected typescript of 'The Ghosts of Sleath', signed by the author, this is 17/500. Some wear & bumps to soft covers and minor damage to plastic ring binder.internally clean & bright. Signed by Author(s).

Book 2 of Hearne's latest fantasy trilogy, The Seven Kennings ( A Plague of Giants, 2017), set in a multiracial world thrust into turmoil by an invasion of peculiar giants. James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction. Although many have found the ending of the tale too loose, with too many unaccounted for threads to the storyline needing to be tied off, it has to be said that it does still deliver a hell of a final punch regardless. The novel is certainly a tension builder as well as one that just keeps on escalating in pace throughout. And at the very ending, Herbert pulls out all the stops and finishes with (if nothing else) a fitting and impactful finale. Herbert's lastet horror novel is a turgid affair. It concerns Jonathan Childes, a schoolteacher with a psychic talent, who can occasionally see through the eyes of a certain lunatic during the Continue reading »

The Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert - Publishers Weekly The Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert - Publishers Weekly

The Ghosts of Sleath is much more like a fully realised product, although there were still a few things that I didn’t like about it. Structure-wise, though, it works a lot better as a story, but the bad news is that you’re still going to want to read Haunted first because the books do work best if you go through them chronologically. It’s not that they’re necessarily direct sequels, but there are conversations in each book that would spoil the previous ones if you hadn’t read them. Nash soon starts to uncover the terrible history that haunts the small village, with an evil that spans decades. With Nash’s investigations getting closer to unveiling the hideous truth, so the ghostly visitations become stronger and in doing so, much more deadly to the citizens of Sleath. Herbert’s ‘The Ghosts Of Sleath’ is a thoroughly engrossing tale of paranormal horror that sets down a fast pace from the very start. With a storyline that is more involved, more dramatic and on a much larger scale than that of ‘Haunted’, Herbert has really gone all out with this paranormal tale of ghostly horror.Sleath. Quiet, peaceful. A small village hidden away in the Chiltern Hills, almost forgotten by the modern world. Nothing much seems to happen here, little disturbs the

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment